Home improvement requires a vast amount of tools most of the time. Depending on what you will be doing, it is important that you use the appropriate tools. Besides painting, any project where you will be cutting the wall or hanging something heavy on it will require a special tool known as a stud finder. If you have never used one before, you are definitely going to need to learn how to use one first. It all depends on the job, but if you learn how to use a basic type you will have no problem learning how to use other types that function differently.
Although you may not believe it to be easy, using one really is a simple task. Even simple tools can prove difficult to use if you haven’t ever used one before. Considering that, in order to learn, you will need to be taught. These basic tips will get you started, so listen carefully.
1. Before using, you are going to need to clear off the wall. That means remove any paintings and anything else that you may have hanging up on the wall.
2. When you flip the power switch, wait until you hear a beep. Once you hear it, you know that it is running and ready to start locating any beam within your wall.
3. Hold against the wall. Make sure it is flat, and then scan across the whole area in which you are going to be working.
4. While scanning, you will need to hold down the locator button. If you don’t then it will not provide you with any results. This is actually the most common mistake for people who have never used one before.
5. You must drag it across the wall to the right or it will not work appropriately. A progression of lights will be flickering while dragging and once those lights turn red, you know that it has located a beam.
6. Once you find the beam, hold flat and steadily against the wall where the beam is. Use a pencil to mark the position and you are good to go.
You can use this method for practically any model, even though they all work differently. Simply repeat this process as many times as needed in order to find all of the studs in the area of the wall that you will be working on. So now that you know, you will be able to use it for many different design projects within your home. You could even help a friend out and teach them what you have just learned.
However, if you ever have trouble using one, many will come with instructions. This is because all models function differently and some are harder to use than others. For your first one, you may want to consider the most basic type, which is the magnetic. Others can prove to be more efficient for specific jobs, but this type is still useful and will be fully capable of performing well enough in order to get your basic jobs done. If instructions don’t work, I’m sure there is someone that can personally teach you.